- An experienced digital concept artist with deep engagement in fantasy art and pop culture?
- Looking to work with other high-talent, high-experience creatives that share your passions?
- Excited by being able to build new worlds with top creative talent in the gaming industry?
- Well-versed in translating abstract ideas, reference, and feedback into superior artwork?
- Someone who prides themselves creating through collaboration?
- Passionate about Magic: The Gathering (or will become so) and want to be a part of the Magic: The Gathering creative team?
Then we would love to talk to you about an open position we have in Magic R&D for a Concept Artist.
The Magic R&D Concept Artist drives innovative visual world creation for Magic with a deep understanding of the Magic brand. This key role in Magic R&D collaborates with other art directors, concept artists and concept writers to create a product that brings joy to millions of Magic fans.
In Magic R&D, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating broadly accessible and fun Magic experiences and games for ALL of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
The successful candidate must embody the Magic R&D principles:
O We are stewards of Magic.
o We are passionate about Magic.
o We believe Magic makes a difference.
o We focus on growing Magic’s audience.
o We believe in discovery, surprise, and strategy.
o We listen.
o We improve.
o We collaborate.
o We debate.
o We are inclusive and respectful.
o We expect greatness.
- Create original concepts, including extrapolating ideas from visual and written direction
- Redesign existing concepts
- Contribute to general world building
- Support art director/writers/creative team in creating and executing brand visual identity
- Solving visual design problems with pre-production needs in mind.
- Staying abreast of cultural trends to create resonant work.
- Creating wholly new and ownable concepts.
- Updating existing concepts to be distinctive and ownable.
- Concepting abstract ideas into highly effective visual communication devices.
- Commercial concept art experience
- Studies or training in Concept Art, Visual Arts, Illustration, or related subjects.
- Ability to create, using digital methods: Sketches (rough preliminary concept sketches), Silhouette roughs (silhouette shape explorations), Detail drawings (detailed finished drawings), Color roughs (color roughs, managing design color palette), and Finished color illustrations (final illustrations if required).
- Ability to work with the following subject matter (fantasy genre): Characters (costuming, jewelry & body art from various cultures), Equipment (knowledge of armor, weapons & gear is a plus), Creatures (extensive knowledge of animal anatomy is very useful), Environments (buildings, architectural motifs, landscapes), and Spell Effects (visual treatments for spell effects).
- Possessing a strong portfolio showing examples of the above types of work
- Understanding of Magic as both a game and a brand.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to eagerly embrace challenges head-on and the confidence to propose creative solutions.
- Ability to take direction and work within scope constraints.
- A strong sense of accountability, responsibility and pride regarding this position and the projects that are assigned.
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- High skill in Adobe Photoshop
Skills Preferred but Not Required:
- Proficiency in other Adobe Creative Suite products (InDesign, Illustrator) and MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Experience working in a professional product engineering environment in the gaming industry a plus