How would you like to help Magic: the Gathering create incredible new worlds and work with the best fantasy illustrators alive to make every Magic card worthy of an award?
Magic: the Gathering, the world’s first and premier Trading Card Game is hiring a new Art Director!
- An experienced visual creative with deep engagement in fantasy art and pop culture?
- Looking to work with other high-talent, high-experience creatives that share your passions?
- Excited by being able to work directly with top illustrative talent and to discover emerging artists?
- Well-versed in translating others’ feedback into executable communication for other artists?
- Someone who prides themselves on executing superior work through collaboration?
- Experienced with working within an established brand/IP while constantly looking to grow the brand’s visual expression within current models, as well as into new realms?
- Comfortable with switching gears between creative concepts while maintaining a high standard of excellence?
- Passionate about Magic: The Gathering (or will become so) and want to be a part of the Magic: The Gathering creative team?
In Magic R&D, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating broadly accessible and fun Magic experiences and games for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
The successful candidate must embody the Magic R&D principles:
o We are stewards of Magic.
o We are passionate about Magic.
o We believe Magic makes a difference.
o We focus on growing Magic’s audience.
o We believe in discovery, surprise, and strategy.
o We listen.
o We improve.
o We collaborate.
o We debate.
o We are inclusive and respectful.
o We expect greatness.
- Commissioning a high volume of artwork: identifying freelance illustrators for each piece, providing continuous direction on individual pieces, and maintaining solid relationships with those partners.
- Leading in-house and external illustrators in creating concept art assets.
- Presenting creative direction and providing constructive feedback in meetings and stand-up critiques.
- Providing visual direction for internal/external presentations and videos with both R&D and Marketing teams.
- Providing direction for graphic designers on card frame treatments and individual graphic elements.
- Reviewing print-ready files to ensure final card quality.
- Participating in brainstorms on future Magic creative expressions.
- Clearly communicating visual storytelling needs to internal and external illustrators (both written and verbally).
- Staying abreast of cultural trends to create resonant work.
- Finding, retaining and developing illustration talent via book reviews, concept pushes, conventions, etc.
- Switching gears between varying creative concepts while maintaining a high standard of excellence.
- Synthesizing game mechanics, brand knowledge and R&D Creative goals into concise direction.
- Commercial art experience
- A portfolio demonstrating strong creative vision with a cinematic lens.
- Understanding of Magic as both a game and a brand.
- Worldbuilding/character design experience.
- Knowledge of current fantasy illustration market/talent.
- Knowledge of modern print/press techniques and processes.
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate ownership over both conceptual worldbuilding and commissioned work.
- Ability to synthesize game mechanics, brand knowledge and creative goals into concise direction.
- High skill in Adobe Photoshop
Skills Preferred but Not Required:
- Experience as a commissioning Art Director/Art Producer.
- Studies or training in Concept Art, Visual Arts, Illustration, or related subjects.
- Proficiency in other Adobe Creative Suite products (InDesign, Illustrator) and MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)